Communications Unit Afghanistan (COMA)
Communications Unit Afghanistan is a strategic and implementing unit, with the objective to make target groups in Afghanistan increasingly supportive to SCA’s mission and vision. The Communications Unit is responsible for external and internal communications in Afghanistan and give support to the Communications Unit in Sweden in its work regarding communications, fundraising and advocacy.
The Communications Unit has five employees, including the Head of Communications Unit. Each of the five regional offices have a Regional Communications Officer, whose work is coordinated by Communications Unit.
Scope of Work
The job holder participates in all activities in the Communications Unit, with a special focus on the relationship with Sweden. He / She keeps close contact with the Communications Unit in Stockholm (COMS), follow Swedish media and society, and may come up with suggestion for activities in Sweden.
He/she should have the ability to be a media spokesperson when Swedish is asking for a voice from Afghanistan. Swedish media will ask for his/her support in obtaining information about Afghanistan and SCA, or support during a visit to Afghanistan. He/she will produce information for communications, fundraising and advocacy in Sweden.
He/she is involved in developing the internal dynamics of the unit and provides special support to the Head of COMA in hers/his role as leader of the group, and coordinator of the five regional communicators.
He/she has a lead role in the capacity building of the unit’s staff. He/she will arrange practical training sessions based on the identified needs of the unit.
He/she is involved in improving channels of internal and external communication to increase knowledge SCA as an organization among its stakeholders, inside and outside Afghanistan.
- Coordinate the communication needs of COMS with COMA and RMOs, regarding communication, fundraising, and advocacy.
- Follow issues in Sweden relevant to SCA and Afghanistan and propose initiatives from SCA.
- Produce communication materials for COMS and occasionally for COMA.
- Be a spokesperson and manage media requests from Sweden.
- Support Communications Unit in Sweden, COMS, in arranging visits of international media and of COMS staff to Afghanistan, in collaboration with Senior Communication Officer Media and Senior Communication Officers at RMOs.
- Developing communication strategy, tools and guidelines for SCA Afghanistan, in collaboration with Head of COMA.
- Assist Head of COMA in advising Country Director and senior management of SCA Afghanistan on various issues regarding branding, media relations, reputation management, internal communications, and crisis communication.
- Strategic support to Head of COMA, especially regarding the achievement of the strategic objectives of the unit.
- Planning and implementing capacity building and strategic or creative workshops both for COMA staff, communication staff at RMOs, and other staff in Afghanistan.
- Fill in for Head of COMA to lead the daily work or participate in meetings and workshops, when Head of COMA is on annual leave or unavailable for other reasons.
- Hands-on support to COMA in all its tasks, to RMOs and to the Communication Unit in Sweden.
- Preferably Bachelor’s degree in the related professional field.
- Excellent command of written and oral Swedish and English.
- A minimum of 3-4 years relevant experience, with a special focus on content writing experience for all media platforms.
- Being a reasonably good photographer.
- Experience from working in a challenging environment.
- Experience of planning and structuring communications work.
- Documented knowledge of social issues, preferably with focus of global issues and development cooperation
- Experience from assignments in conflict areas.
- Knowledge of Dari/Persian and Pashto.
- Experience as press secretary and spokes person.
- Experience of crisis communications.
- Experience of professional management of web and social media.
- Have participated in HEAT-training or other security training
- Contract period: 2 years with an initial 6 months probationary period
- Conditions: Non- family posting. SCA offers a competitive salary, free housing, insurances and other benefits.
- Duties to begin: April 2020
- Last date for application: 23 February 2020
- Upload a 1-page letter explaining why you are interested in and suited for this position and your CV (no more than 2 pages) in English.
Swedish Committee for Afghanistan in Afghanistan
SCA has been working in Afghanistan since 1982 and is presently managing development programmes linked to Strategic Objectives concerning Health, Education, Rural Livelihoods and Community Governance with a total annual budget of roughly USD 40 million. The total number of staff is around 6000 of whom 15 are non-Afghans. The SCA presence in Afghanistan consists of the Kabul Management Office (KMO), five Regional Management Offices and three Liaison Offices. In Sweden SCA has 20 staff working at the Stockholm Management Office (SMO) and around 3,000 members organized in local chapters all over the country.
During the last decade, SCA has undertaken a change process moving from a primarily humanitarian service delivery approach towards more of a developmental role, putting increasing emphasis on capacity development, rights-based programming and outcome orientation. The mission of SCA is to empower individuals, communities and local organizations, primarily in rural areas and with particular focus on women, girls, boys and vulnerable groups such as people with disabilities, so that they may participate fully in society and influence their own development.